Restaurant franchising continues to be an attractive career change consideration for many Americans, in part because of proven business plans and methods. Therefore, it is imperative that potential franchisees understand what it takes to be successful within a given restaurant chain’s franchising framework.
Just as we happily share our vast point of sale experience and expertise with startup owners in order to help them make the best decisions from the very beginning, we at Sintel Systems are happy to share articles and commentary about the perceptions and reality of the risks involved in making the franchise career change.
In many of our blog posts, we’ve touted the importance of establishing a safe and sound point of sale system, along with many other well-tested approaches to being a successful franchisee.
In regard to the latter, if you are one of those who are considering a restaurant franchise ownership opportunity, we found a recent post at RestaurantNews.com that’s most worthy of your time. Here are the highlights of “8 Things Every New Restaurant Franchise Owner Should Know”:
1. Don’t do it alone.
– Investing in a restaurant franchise is a major decision, so getting the support and guidance that you need is critical.
– Get the guidance and expertise that you need to make more informed business decisions throughout the entire ownership process.
– Consider partnering with a knowledgeable restaurant franchise consultant who can guide you.
2. Make sure you are comfortable working under strict guidelines.
– Franchisees must follow strict and established guidelines for operating the business as set forth in the franchise agreement.
– This may make some people feel like their creativity is being hindered or limited but deviation from the guidelines set forth by the franchisor may result in serious penalties or fines, so don’t sign unless you are completely comfortable with the terms.
3. Get into the franchise business for the right reasons.
– Becoming a franchise owner requires significant upfront investments, commitment and a well-thought business strategy to succeed.
– If you are opening a franchise just because you need a career change or are frustrated with being unemployed then you need to rethink your choice.
– Before taking the leap, be sure you are becoming a restaurant franchise owner for the right reasons. A franchise consultant can help you ask the right questions.
4. Choose a franchise concept that matches your personality and experience.
– Get into a franchise concept that you are passionate about or a concept that matches your experience. For instance, if you love interacting with and entertaining guests, look into owning a casual dining establishment, not a kiosk or self-service business.
– Think about your personality and professional skills then find the best franchise to match what you excel in and love to do.
5. Don’t expect immediate or guaranteed results.
– Certainly, operating under a well-known brand with an established set of systems that can be replicated reduces some of the risk of restaurant ownership, but it isn’t a sure guarantee that your business will take off quickly, or be a hit in the long-term.
– Like opening any new restaurant, you will face risk and setbacks, so be prepared to rise to the challenge.
6. Expect to work long hours.
– The hospitality business comes with long hours, and a franchise restaurant is no exception.
– As the owner of any restaurant, including a franchise restaurant, you need to be present and hands-on as much as possible.
– A franchise comes with an established, turnkey system, but it won’t just run by itself.
7. Invest in a franchise that meets your budget requirements.
– Because starting a new franchise takes a lot of capital to get off the ground, know what your budget is and then try to find a match based on what you can afford.
– Some less expensive franchise options may include self-service or quick-serve concepts, or a franchise that is less well known.
8. Think of every new customer as gold.
Your best customers are returning ones, so do whatever you can to make every new customer experience positive.
– Always adhere to the highest standards of quality and constantly raise the bar to exceed expectations.
Read the full RestaurantNews.com post here.
For more insights into the franchise-seeking mindset, check out our related posts, The 5 Points Of A Franchise Star and Points of Fail — And How To Avoid Them.
Before you make your franchise move, consider calling Sintel Systems for a free phone consultation to help weigh and understand your point of sale (POS) options.
Sintel is the only full-service, direct-to-user point of sale provider — no resellers, no middleman. From software development to franchise incubator to ongoing support, part of Sintel’s commitment to our customers and industry is to share information on how to achieve success.
Sintel Systems is the only direct to end user full-service provider of tailored Point of Sale systems across retail, restaurant and service industries, including frozen yogurt shops, pizzerias, sushi restaurants, cafés and retail stores.
As a single source for business solutions, our experienced, knowledgeable team negotiates the complex POS landscape for you to enable you to find the right POS system for your business and budget. Hardware – Software – Support